Croydon man sentenced for assault on police officer

A man who drove off with an officer hanging out of his car has received an 18 month suspended prison sentence.

Jamie Williams, 23 (06/02/1996) of Mitcham Road, Croydon, had been found guilty of the offences following an earlier trial at Croydon Crown Court on Friday, 26 July.

On Wednesday, 4 September at the same court he was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment wholly suspended for 18 months for ABH assault, criminal damage and dangerous driving.

He is to abide by a curfew between the hours of 2100hrs-0600hrs for six months and is to complete 150 hours of community service within the next 12 months.

A compensation order has been made for £3,500 to be paid to the officer in the next 12 months and he has also been disqualified from driving for two years. He must also take an extended driving exam before he can drive again.

The court heard how at around 22:55hrs on Saturday, 17 August 2018 at Hawthorn Avenue, Thornton Heath, officers stopped Williams who was driving a dark grey Mercedes car.

Officers had seen him drive at speed out of a tight junction without slowing and without due care and had stopped him to speak to him about the manner of his driving.

Williams left the car, but as he was being questioned he got back in the car to drive off.

One of the officers involved in stopping Williams tried to prevent him making off and reached into the car through the open window. However Williams drove off with the officer hanging half out the window of the car.

After about 100 meters Williams reversed his car and struck and damaged one of the police cars involved in the incident.

The driver then began to drive off again at speed, despite the attempts of other officers to stop him and with the officer, who was then aged 26 years, still hanging out of the car.

After about another 100 meters the officer being dragged decided he had no choice but to eject himself from the vehicle while it was moving at speed.

The officer was taken to hospital and treated for a number of severe grazes and a fractured left wrist.

The officer has now returned to full duties, but he is still suffering from the effects of the wrist injury.

Williams was sought by police and handed himself in three days later at Croydon Police Station, where he was arrested and charged as above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: